Monastery of Agios Georgios at Vourgareli

The monastery of Agios Georgios, built in the village of Vourgaeli,was the refuge of  the Klephts(self-appointed soldiers of the area engaging in guerilla warfare )and Armatoles(men at arms)before the Greek Revolution as well as a meeting point of the Captains of the areas  of Tzoumerka and Radovizi, where under the leadership of Georgios Karaiskakis   the Revolution of 1821 was  declared,  with the blessings of the Abbot Christophoros (15th May).

The monastery was built in 1714, as evidenced by a semicircular inscription, or maybe a little earlier in 1690.

Built in the northern end of the village, the monastery is one of the most important sights of Tzoumerka.Both the  temple and the  cells survive in excellent condition. The monastery was probably founded in 1690 or a little later, in the early 18th century. Today’s cells are later constructions. In the middle of the 19th century the monastery was in great prosperity as its charitable contribution towards schools and poverty stricken families of the area denotes.

The temple has great architectural similarities with the Chrysospiliotissa Monastery at Gourgiana. It is a one-aisled vaulted basilica with an octagonal dome and a barrel-vaulted narthex..To the east it also results in a three-sided conch. It is flat-paneled with simple masonry with a toothed tape in the cornice of the dome. To strengthen its long sides, bulky sloping beams were built.

Inside, the church is painted with frescoes dating back to 1714, as evidenced by a relative inscription written above the door of the main church leading to the narthex. The compositions present the known arrangement in zones both in the main temple and the narthex, and were made by Kalarrytian painters. The wood-carved icon screen is also of the 18th century, and has five portable icons that, as their style suggest, they must have been made by the same painters who made the murals.

Its most valuable treasure is a silver reliquary of the  1859.

Agios Georgios Monastery is today a dependency of the Holy Monastery of Melates.